The Up The River Golfer

Written By: Jeremy Boone, CGCS,
Golf Course Superintendent  |  
Growing up at Springdale at Cold Mountain
Jeremy and Family 1975ish

Are you ready to take this journey? Really not sure where it will lead and what subjects may come up along the way. I suppose this could be like Star Wars and start in the middle of the story and then bounce to the beginning or just be a little ADD and jump around. So, as I sit down to type I paused and quickly researched golf blogs. What are people talking about in the blogosphere? Why do people take the time to read a few paragraphs from someone they have never met, never heard of or even seen? I came up with more questions than answers. What is the purpose of this blog? To entertain, to share Springdale with the world, to entice you to come visit, to put a smile on your face when you might be having a bad day, to provide me an outlet when it’s raining and we can’t be out on the course doing what I love. It can be a little of all of that and much more.

Full Circle.

You’ve heard life has some full circle from people. Well I’m living it. My parents both worked at Springdale back in the early 1970s. Mom managed the kitchen and Dad worked on the crew building homes around the property. Some of my first memories are playing with Steven Tingle, the original owner’s son and riding in cart with my Dad. I can still smell the exhaust of those old 3-wheel Harley Davidson golf carts. When I was 17 I played many rounds at Springdale as a member of the Pisgah High golf team thinking this is my favorite golf course in the world. After graduation I attended UNC- Asheville majoring in Mass Communication and playing on the golf team. I wanted to be a sportswriter. Didn’t take 2 semesters of writing everyday to convince me although I loved sports I didn’t want to write EVERY day. My career choice a few years later was golf maintenance. A few decades later here I am back where it all started at Springdale.

Having grown up in the twin cities…. That’s Bethel-Cruso for the non locals, when the city folks of Canton and Waynesville found out where you were from they would say, “Oh, you’re from up the river”, so I thought it would be fitting to welcome all the readers to join the “up the river gang” at Springdale. Sit back, relax and enjoy our home.

Popular posts from this blog

Things To Do While Vacationing At Springdale